Saturday 17 August 2013

GIFT OF SMILE

I was standing on roadside stall enjoying paani- puri/gol-gappey. Just then a child of mere 9-10 years came to me and started begging. "Allah ke naam pe kuch de do bhaiya, 4 din se kuch khaya nhi h." As we so called high society people just throw them away. And same thing is applied on me. "Hurrrr.. Paise nahi hai, mere paas. Go." although i was enjoying my gol-gappey plate. "Bhaiya, ek aur plate banana." i instructed the vendor. That child was standing near me and was seeing me with moist eyes. I never saw someone so keenly. He was just doing two things. Watching me and then my plate. May be he was really hungry. But i didn't believed it. I was suspecting of him lying as he was in perfect attire of begging. And beggars most commonly lie to get some money in lieu of our sympathy. After watching me for a while, he went back and sat with a girl barely 6-7 years old. They both were exchanging some words and don't know why but girl started to shed tears. That was the time i felt i did something wrong by refusing that child. I noticed both of them. They were fragile and weak. Their skin colour was pale and i remember when i was a child, i used to be healthy and glowing. Infact, every other middle class family child is like that. They were poor i could sense that. But, their bodies were not as of some growing up child. The shape of their bones were visible very clearly under their skin. They looked as if they just had 1 cover of skin on their bones. So thin. I couldn't resist myself so i went to both of them and asked what happened. They both told me that they hadn't ate anything since yesterday . I asked about their parents to which they replied that their mom works as a vendor and from past few days, the selling had not been good so two square meals were very hard for them now. And their father would remain whole day in liquor intoxication. He was that typical husband who would take all money for his liquor addiction. I was shrugged away on listening this. I am one of the students who waste half of the money in tasting something and then throwing it because i didn't like it. I would throw my phone in anger irrespective of the damage caused to it. But, see these children. They suffer for each and every penny. I just had 50 rupees with me then as i spent all in my "Chamak-dhamak status". I took them to a nearby dhaba and made them eat whole heartedly. Seeing smile on their faces made me feel so happy and satisfy that it couldn't be explained in words. But, after biding them good bye i could thank god just for giving this day in my life where i could atleast do one job of feeding someone to the full. As it is said "Bhookhe ko ann aur pyase ko paani" is the greatest virtue you could do. I promised myself to atleast feed such children sometimes if i can't do it daily. And you all also, make it a habit to help the ones who actually suffer. I myself don't like to give money to beggars but feeding them with water or food may cost you some money but the happiness wrapped in it will be the cause of smile for you throughout your life..

"Aash"

No comments:

Post a Comment